# **CONSTITUTIONAL ASSEMBLY**

THEME COMMITTEE 3
20 MARCH 1995

[ VOLUME I pages 1 - 70 ]

# 20 MARCH 1995

10

20

PROF EBRAHIM:

... and perhaps where necessary I will receive that assistance from the other members of the Constitution committee.

The discussions of the Constitutional committee dealt with two matters in broad terms.

The one aspect was those matters that which could be referred to a technical committee for the purposes of drafting.

The other matter related to the report in general where there were a number of items which were required - which required further attention by the Theme Committee and in connection with the technical committee, particularly with regard to those contentious matters which affected the Constitutional principles in particular.

And there was some debate relating to the Constitutional principles and whether those could be contentious or not.

And what aspect of the Constitutional principles could be regarded as contentious.

There is some - when we looked at the minutes in detail,

CONSTITUTIONAL ASSEMBLY

### 20 MARCH 1995

there was some controversy even amongst us as to how to actually deal with it properly, so as not to cause any embarrassment to any party and we are going to be discussing this matter with the Chairperson which is really the meeting that we are going to - and one of the items that we need to attend to.

But there are two matters which beside from the lack of clarity which could be attended to and the first is that there are areas in that report which are clearly non- contentious and those matters should be referred to the technical committee for purposes of drafting.

Now, the question of the drafting and the instruction to proceed with that, is as I understood it, a the function of the Constitutional committee and not the Theme Committee. The Constitutional committee is now seized with the report - the Constitutional committee has agreed on various areas in respect of which drafting should continue.

Therefor the Constitutional committee will directly instruct the technical committee to proceed with drafting in respect

CONSTITUTIONAL ASSEMBLY

20 MARCH 1995

of those matters which the Constitution committee has reached agreement.

Before our office nearly conveyed the instruction of the Constitutional committee, to the technical committee, we thought it wise to consult with the Chairperson first and attend to it in a cautious way.

Which is part of the reason why we are having this meeting. But there are other matters which need to be attended to by the Theme Committee in respect of those areas of contention and distinguishing those areas of contention which affect the Constitutional principles and those areas of contention which are generally the contentious positions as put forward by the different parties.

And those matters, I believe, would be the responsibility of the Theme Committee to take further unless the Theme Committee would wish the Constitutional committee to regurgitate really the debates which are taking place at this Theme Committee.

20

10

### 20 MARCH 1995

And I think some direction there would be necessary. On the one hand the Constitutional committee is seized with the report and is seized with the matter and then - but there are a number of areas in respect of which clarity is Required. And I believe those areas of clarity ought to be provided for by the Theme Committee.

Now the reason why and I must apologize, the reason why information wasn't directly forthcoming from the administration, advising the Theme Committee properly to say - these are the discussions, and the outcome of the discussions in the Constitutional committee so that we don't leave it merely to hearsay from members who happen to be members of the Theme committee and the Constitutional committee - is an area in respect of which again, I think some cautiousness was required on our part and we wanted to gain clarity from the Chairpersons.

So we intend to do that and once we have got proper clarity
- we would be advising the Theme Committee in a formal
way, exactly how or the proper reflection of the Constitution
committee minutes.

CONSTITUTIONAL ASSEMBLY

10

### 20 MARCH 1995

I know that is not very helpful, but it is a fairly sensitive matter and at a fairly sensitive stage. As an administration, we are somewhat hesitant to merely behave like a bull in a China shop. And we thought we should take advice rather than dealing with the matter directly.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Thank you very much Mr Ebrahim. I have noted Dr King and then Mr Smith. I have in front of me, this documentation from Monday 6 March, in which the discussion of the - that's the Constitutional committee, discussion of the report of Theme Committee 3 was reported in.

ote

Could I just, before I give you the word, just quote something from this document if you please.

It says here, now this is the Constitutional committee, the meeting would proceed to discuss the reports of Theme Committees 3 and 4 which will follow then.

20

10

In so doing, the minutes hey, it would:

### 20 MARCH 1995

- (a) identify key issues which would require debate and finalization:
- (b) decide whether further instructions would be given to Theme Committees. Or the Management committee and/or:
- (c) request a Constitutional Assembly to provide further instructions for drafting on areas of agreement. And debate the CA, contentious areas where no agreement could be found in the Constitutional (inaudible) ...

I think that was the quote from the decision of the CC and then follows the discussion of the report, which now and there says, refer this back to this Theme Committee and so

But there was no further instructions actually given if I read this minutes correctly but I think we should be open in a practical way - look at how we could sort out this matter, Dr King.

20

10

DR KING:

Mr Chairman, I was at that meeting. And that which

CONSTITUTIONAL ASSEMBLY

on.

# 20 MARCH 1995

you've have now read was the general decision before our report was in fact handled. So what you've read there, is - it's some time ago now and I haven't read the minutes again, because we haven't had a CC meeting - I haven't received those documents as yet.

Or I may have received it, but it is still on one side. I have been through a traumatic period in the last week or so and I therefore have to catch up again, but I don't think that - well I - I know I haven't read it.

10

But that as far as I am concerned, as if but I remember correctly, that was the general decision at the beginning, before those reports were handled. So it doesn't have any bearing on our report as such. Once the report is handled, we got some distance and then there was a final decision that we were not going to get anywhere with our report and that the report in fact - there - there was some argument, I wouldn't say an argument.

20

There was a sentiment expressed by Mr Gordhan, that it shouldn't just, because it was referred back to our

# 20 MARCH 1995

committee and he just felt it shouldn't be said that way - it sounded very negative. That it was being - well in a - 'bietjie meer sensitiewe manier laat ons nou nie almal moet eina seerkry nie. Dat die ding na ons toe moet terugkom'. That is more or less the way it was expressed.

I think it was done in a soft way so that we don't - 'dat ons nou nie op mense se tone trap nie'. We've to work through his thing and we have to get out on the other side. With as little ill feeling as possible. We still are in the same boat and if it collapses or if it sinks, we all go down.

10

So I think in that spirit, the whole idea was that they wouldn't make a song and dance in there. But that it would come back to us. My own personal feeling at this stage is, that we should refer it because there was - there was mentioned in that meeting to our technical experts.

And my own feeling is, without our discussing it here at length, because we are not going to achieve anything by doing it. Is that we refer the whole report back to our technical advisors or experts, whatever we call them.

20

### 20 MARCH 1995

Ask them to go through all of that, because there were certain of those which were closed under contentious. Which is - which in fact are totally acceptable regarding the principles or there may be a small little hitch here and there and those are the things that those technical people will be able to sort out, much better than we will be able to do so.

We have them at our disposal, and I would like to suggest that we refer that whole report back to them to ask them whether they will come up with suggestions on that and then we can go through the basis of which they have supplied looking at the report. That is my first suggestion.

My second suggestion is that we actually try to do that report and all future reports once we have put everything together in the same way and now I can't remember whether it was Theme Committee 2 or 4 - no-no one of the Theme committees actually had theirs in blocks and that was the way I thought it should be done all the way.

And it was not only 6.4 - it was either Theme Committee 2 or Theme Committee 4 - also had something similar to that.

CONSTITUTIONAL ASSEMBLY

### 20 MARCH 1995

10

20

Ja - where really, that makes so much sense. Because immediately have those things we all agreed on etcetera and it was in - 'dit was in sulke blokke en elke ou kon presies sien waar jy' - and it was handled very well in the Constitutional Committee.

And I am quite sure there will be great appreciation if we could handle it in that way.

CHAIRPERSON:

Dr King you are making two proposals. Could we handle that as on. Refer to - make that one - refer to the experts to put it in the form of the standard new form.

DR KING:

Correct.

CHAIRPERSON:

Which - for which we had we had guidelines -like the Theme Committee 6.4 actually which they didn't (inaudible)

DR KING:

Ja but if they also, they would have to purify it also. You know they - hulle sal moet bietjie sif gebruik om die goed nou uit te sorteer daar and then put it into that form and

### 20 MARCH 1995

10

20

that would help us because then we could sit down really and rationally argue whatever we do and what we agree with.

But at this stage I think we are going to waste a lot of time by trying to even attempt that document on our own again.

CHAIRPERSON:

First Mr Smith and then Ken Andrew.

MR SMITH:

You know Chair, I must say, a bit of a disadvantage having earlier attended the second CC meeting where our Theme Committee was being dealt with. The first one had, we were - we walked out of the time. So, I am not sure whether the problem areas have been identified at the meeting itself which Mr Gordhan made the suggestion or the meeting before.

Because I wasn't terribly aware during the meeting of what the problems really were. I was a bit confused - but be that as it as it may. The decision I seem to recall was that those areas of consensus would be referred to drafting but through you Chair, I would like to ask Mr (inaudible) ...

CONSTITUTIONAL ASSEMBLY

### 20 MARCH 1995

because I seem to recall at management Mr Ramaphosa in fact saying, that the issue had not been refer to drafting, it was all been held back and I am confused now at this stage as whether anything is going for drafting or not.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Ja, Peter, we sit with a problem in the sense that on the pure minutes here which I have in front of me it consider the possibility of referring it back. But it never noted - now it is referred in this or that way back.

10

So I think let us just skip the formalities and we do the practical thing

MR SMITH:

No Chair, I am just asking the question for clarification.

CHAIRPERSON:

Yes.

MR SMITH:

Are the areas consensus being referred for drafting or not?

DR KING:

I don't think so.

20

CHAIRPERSON:

No it can't be, because this whole thing is a mix up. We

### 20 MARCH 1995

must now standardize the format in the new format, which the administration has requested. And this thing was done before, this new format came in to be and I think, let's make it easy, let's say that we want to put it into a new format.

The whole story and then the technical experts can do it, but let's first listen to Ken.

MR ANDREW:

I support what Tersia and you are saying with one condition and that is we must, not just to be sticky, we must get a request in writing from the Constitutional committee saying this is what we require you to do.

As you know, through kind of verbal interchanges and so on, we've had bordering on elements of friction with the technical advisors from time to time and I think understandably, possibly from both sides, but anyway, where there has been lack of clarity, or lack of accurate communication between the two of us, our Core Group and them, as to what they required to do.

20

10

### 20 MARCH 1995

And I think we can ill afford both in money terms and in human relations terms for that to persist, so I endorse entirely what has been requested but I do think we should ask the Constitutional committee to put in writing exactly what they require of us - in other words, why is it been referred back what do they want done.

We then can pass that on to the technical advisors and say this is the request we have - here is the first report, please
prepare a draft in the new - to meet the requirements of the
Constitutional committee in terms of the - you know the old
document and then I think, I think that's entirely right and
then we look at it and take it further.

So I agree with the process proposed, it is just that I think we must actually do it by way of writing, so there is absolutely no miss understanding of (a) what the constitutional committee wants and in turn what we want of the technical advisors when we pass a request on to them.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Could I just ask at this stage before I give you the word.

Could we direct it to the management committee? And

CONSTITUTIONAL ASSEMBLY

10

20 MARCH 1995

thinking of Thursday meeting instead of waiting for next

Monday and the Monday after that we come to our Theme

Committee - if we could just put this matter ...

MR ANDREW:

I bow to your superior knowledge of the of committees in the process and I am not, you can refer to God or the Queen, prince Philip the Constitutional Assembly, the management committee. I don't mind, whoever has got the authority to accurately convey what is required of us, I - it may not even have to go that far, maybe simply the Secretariat or the directorate speaking to the Chair of the Constitutional Assembly - maybe they will do it.

10

I am not trying to get bogged informalities. It is just I think, for our technical advisors, they must know fairly precisely what they have been asked to do.

CHAIRPERSON:

And shall we bring it then to the Theme Committee on Monday for just to make sure that they are satisfied, not.

MR ANDREW:

I don't think there is a need.

20

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Ja Tersia.

### 20 MARCH 1995

DR KING:

Mr Chairman, I - I just want to say that I totally agree. That I think we need just to get it in writing and I am quite happy that the administration simply try and word in more or less the sentiments that was expressed at that meeting and for Peter's sake, it was - the discussion on the document was mostly in the first meeting already.

And the second one is a very short one and that is why it was difficult to follow. Can I just touching on what Ken has said - it also actually I think touches on the other reason why we are glad that Mr Ebrahim is here. And that is on the whole question of our communication. You know we are feeling that either communication gets to us at a very late stage or else there is no communication.

We would have expected already by now to have had some communication from the CC as to what is happening to our report and I think that was what was originally what got us in the dog box. On our first progress report. Was when we criticized the fact that communication wasn't very good. So if we could just then add that as well.

20

10

# 20 MARCH 1995

CHAIRPERSON:

Thank you, we will work on that matter. Before I give you the word Peter, there was a couple of places in that meeting which you could not attend. For example we had things like that and I personally took the point on a few occasions in that meeting - for example a question here about universal suffrage and the things like that.

The meeting noted however that the IFP might support the retention of the phrase and the issue would require further consideration within the stipulated time frame. And that's the type of thing we were actually aware and that is another outing reason. Why I think we should just go over this thing again. In this newly formatted thing. To give you a decent chance. Could I ...

MR SMITH:

I just want clarity on one thing, I am quite happy with these proposals and thanks for those words - yes, in fact we did try to raise those at the meeting, if you recall, but just - now is it the intention once this exercise is done, that the report goes straight to the CA for debate or is it going to be redebated at the CC? So we get a de novo.

20

10

### 20 MARCH 1995

DR KING:

It's got to come back probably to us.

CHAIRPERSON:

No we are not going to be very hard on - you said that the last time and now we must stay into this thing you know, that's stupid. We must just get a result out of this thing.

Is it okay for you Deon to react?

DEON:

It's perfect.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

And our secretary has got the basis of the decision and you know what to ask for? And just get it back to us, we'll do it.

**UNKNOWN:** 

Thank you.

CHAIRPERSON:

Dr King?

DR KING:

May I just whilst Mr Ebrahim is here, one more thing - I did not attend the visit in Gauteng, because on that Friday there was a hi-jacking of a school of mine with ten teachers and one was killed. In Thembisa right next to Ivory Park - so on

CONSTITUTIONAL ASSEMBLY

18

10

#### 20 MARCH 1995

that Saturday I was in Thembisa but I was not at the Ivory Park meeting.

But you know when they handed me, because I actually went along on the Friday, because I had been in Kempton Park and came back on the Thursday evening, Friday morning I went to find out what about my arrangements getting back there again for the meeting at Ivory Park and they gave me a programme where we had to leave something like 6 o'clock or 7 o'clock in the morning here to go to fly to Phalaborwa and I suspect that it was in one of these - 'hierdie vliegtuie wat so vlieg' - going via Phalaborwa to Swartkops and then to Thembisa and then the next morning again via Phalaborwa - you know - our programme is so heavy, during the week, that weekends we don't for rest - rather we need it for rest, but never have time to rest. But we need it to catch up on our reading just for documents on Mondays.

And really I am not sure that we save that much money by doing that. You know a flight up from here to Kempton Park and back. I am quite sure that many of our MP's

CONSTITUTIONAL ASSEMBLY

10

### 20 MARCH 1995

would have gained in many other respects because our productivity goes down as we have no time to really prepare for meetings. If that is the kind of thing we are going to have in future.

CHAIRPERSON:

No I can assure you it's just a way the ANC wants to intimidate the National Party because they are against smoking, but it was planted.

**UNKNOWN:** 

Can I just respond to that.

10

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

You can respond to it ja.

**UNKNOWN:** 

Chairperson, I think that is a very constructive criticism to make. And I think you are right. Whilst the costing, it did cost us less than half what it normally would cost us.

Well the question of time efficiency, and productivity, we have now agreed that we should provide members with tickets to fly in the ordinary cause unless we were assured of military flight to and from the venue exactly on time, but time wise it was - it was somewhat expensive.

20

### 20 MARCH 1995

On the whole the project was very-very cost efficient, but it wasn't time efficient. We have accepted that, that's part of our evaluation and we've agreed that we would only use South African Air Force if it provided us with an opportunity to go and come back from the venue exactly on time without wasting members time. And we take the point.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Thank you for the contribution. Could I ask - this matter is now been cleared up over the report to block 1 - I mean. Is there any other questions you would like to put to the director before he leave, Ken?

10

MR ANDREW:

Just one - I can report back on a meeting I've have had with Murphy Marobe at his request. It is just the issue of the FFC because it arose very strongly in our last meeting and it has arisen before but particularly that in fact we are not going to be able, we are having a delay in completing our work because we haven't managed to get the FFC to respond to our request to have a brief meeting with us.

20

Now I don't know if that is now in hand if it is, then we don't need Mr Ebrahim but it was the view within the

### 20 MARCH 1995

committee that we would need to report this matter to the secretariat or to the chairman of the CA and say - look, we have now hit this obstacle - can you please try and help remove it. Now there may have been ...

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Let's take the point now, and I think it is necessary that the managing director is with us on this point. Let's first hear Mr Mxenge I think he is also report from Mr Zingle Dingaan.

MR MXENGE:

Ja, Mr Dingaan was mandated by the Core Group to take up the issue and you know talk to you know the FFC Chairperson, and he managed to do. And what he is trying to do now is to secure him to come down for a hearing on the 3rd of (inaudible) ... so he is working on that now.

He raised the matter with him and wanted to find out why is it that they hadn't come back to us. And it appears that they had a little problem with coming to address our Theme Committee, mainly because they felt it was going to be seen as is they are taking sides. Because if they were to come and address us, they were to take certain positions - either

20

10

### 20 MARCH 1995

a federal position or a interest position and they thought by doing so, you know they are likely to be you know play a political game which - which they didn't want to be involved in.

So that's the reason why they hadn't been coming back to us. But you know from what Mr Dingaan says, he they managed to convince him to come and to address Theme Committee you know, (inaudible) ... his fears that you know his address won't in any way be compromising or the organization. That is the commission.

10

So we are working towards getting him to come down to Cape Town on the 3rd of April.

UNKNOWN:

Okay may I just say, arising with Mr Mxenge's meeting with him, Mr Marobe contacted me and asked me to have an half hour meeting which I did. Which was last week.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Can you report on that?

20

MR ANDREW:

Ja, well essentially the point - of course Theme Committee

# 20 MARCH 1995

6.2 is also trying to get hold of him, because they are doing the institutional side of it. So I met with him, absolutely correctly as Mbasa reports.

Their concern is that they don't want to be dragged - either seen to be dictating to you know the Constitutional process or secondly getting dragged into a kind of debate where they are deemed to be partisan.

I explained it particularly in respect of our - that the urgent thing was for us to get clarity on what work they already had done on comparative systems elsewhere in the world.

And that in fact, I said I thought they could simply do by meeting with our Core Group because in fact, it's just kind of factual information - that the other thing could probably in fact be probably better suited coming later on. As oppose to be meeting with the Theme Committee as a whole.

20

10

And I said I thought the same in turn apply then respective

in sub committee 2 of Theme Committee 6. So he seemed

# 20 MARCH 1995

to feel he had much greater clarity and he was kind of relieved he thought through that kind of process they could avoid and I said in respect of when we get further down the track, so the first thing is the kind of research element.

The second thing further down the track - I said that really, one didn't necessarily want their answers but saying these are the issues which we've that we had to grapple or these are the sections that in the Constitution that we have difficulty in interpreting. You know that kind of thing, in a sense to suggest to us some of the questions we should be answering as opposed to what the answers to the questions are.

But what does concern me is the - actually I think he is far more relaxed on that score. But what does concern me, that every week that goes by, I mean if in fact he can't come on or they can't send somebody on the 3rd, we then talk to the second half of April before we even start briefing our advisors to start doing research which we are going to need before we can start that block.

20

10

### 20 MARCH 1995

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Ken you - but you have taken note of this matter, we'll handle it further on.

Anything urgent for the directorate at this stage? Thank you very much for attending us. Come again, please do.

This thing arise ladies and gentlemen, out of our inter action possibilities with Theme Committee 6.2 I think. Now Ken is completely right, that if we don't start talking or get a sub group going on finance and fiscal relations, this thing is going to catch up with us because of the extreme technicalities of the matter.

Now we did discuss it the previous time and we didn't really progress and we decided to leave it a bit. I would say, Ken, that if we get a sub group going at this stage, with perhaps the co-operation of Theme Committee 6.2 coming into that, people like Rob Davis and people like that, coming into it.

The provincial commission is also moving in this direction now, but we need to delegate it - dedicated group - I think somehow to start addressing this problem now so that when

CONSTITUTIONAL ASSEMBLY

20

# 20 MARCH 1995

10

20

it comes to the push, we are prepared for that. Don't you think and in that connection, get the financial and fiscal commission into this matter already as soon as possible. It must seen as one function.

MR ANDREW:

Well, the one thing is finding it's functions and powers and the other is the composition which I see is Theme Committee 6's work. And (inaudible) ... we did discuss it as you recall at some length and I thought our decision was that at this stage, what should happen is the very limited number of people on the sub Theme committee 2 of 6 which is only a total of about eight people, that the parties should co-opt or bring those people into their Theme Committee 3 delegations.

Because you've all got big enough delegations as members or alternates, so that they can actually - because they actually have no more work to do, once they - we finalizing the auditor general and the Reserve Bank thing. And that was the idea and then we handle the functional element through Theme Committee 3 - maybe through a sub committee if Theme Committee 3, but the functional

20 MARCH 1995

element.

And then once the functional thing is done, in other words, what the functions of the Provinces are and the relationship, the financial relationship, between the Provinces and the local and national Governments are going to be - then once we have done that, they can break off and they can start remeeting as sub committee 2 of 6 - to actually say, okay now we know what the functions and powers are and what the job of the FFC is going to be ...

10

CHAIRPERSON:

But they can't proceed before that time.

MR ANDREW:

Ja.

CHAIRPERSON:

Could we just be - because I thought something of that kind would have been taken up in our minutes and it has not really been in that form. Could we Ken - could I just ask first, if there is agreement around this last thought, which I will agree with which Ken has presented now.

20

Ken, could you give us a short formulation now for our

20 MARCH 1995

minutes of that. That decided that.

MR ANDREW:

That Theme Committee 3's task in this area is to determine the powers and functions of different levels of Government. In respect of fiscal matters. And the role of the FFC in this regard stop.

There after Theme Committee 6 will be responsible for determining the composition - the structure and composition of the FFC.

10

CHAIRPERSON:

(inaudible) ...

MR ANDREW:

Ja, I am just waiting for Sandra who is writing like a mad thing there. Okay it is therefore recommended that at this stage, parties bring their or some of their TC6/SC2 members onto their TC3 delegations so that they can be intimately involved in the whole process. Okay I hope - well I think that -hope that says all right.

20

CHAIRPERSON:

It's enough?

20 MARCH 1995

MS HAYDON:

Chair is that now in the Theme - is it their Theme

Committee or our Theme Committee (inaudible) ...

MR ANDREW:

Well the sub committee would in fact, for example, I mean the people who come from your side are Francois Jacobs, Piet Welgemoed and Org Marais. So that within your Theme Committee 6 delegation, you've necessarily reconstituted temporarily and include them and the same with Gavin Woods basically comes for the IFP and in your case there is Rob Davis, there are about three - three or four people.

10

And then when Theme Committee 3 is looking at the powers and functions, it may or may not decide to create a sub committee of Theme committee 3 to look at them, look at it.

What I am really very much against, is creating another kind of combine, I mean, already that committee and the Theme Committee is a sub committee of a Theme Committee, now we want to have a kind of combined sub committee over Theme committee and a Theme Committee and you know

20

### 20 MARCH 1995

we just end up with a meeting on top of a meeting.

CHAIRPERSON:

No this is the best way, there is no doubt about it, Tersia.

DR KING:

In principle I have no problem, I am just trying to figure out how this is going to work in practice. What do you - what in other words, when do they join us?

CHAIRPERSON:

We add them to our alternates.

DR KING:

Is that - is that going to be - pardon?

CHAIRPERSON:

We add them to our alternates.

MR ANDREW:

Well I would see ...

DR KING:

I am talking about - in other words, we are talking about in the Theme Committee meetings that they join us there, is that what we saying?

20

10

MR ANDREW:

Yes, in essence but I mean - I think when we look at our work programme we'd say well look at those juncture - at

# 20 MARCH 1995

that point, we are going to start handling this kind of subject matter and that's the time at which we will be wanting those people to be on board. So that's how I would see it.

DR KING:

It is not a separate sub committee that we are forming again with them.

MR ANDREW:

Not - no.

DR KING:

They simply attend our Theme Committee meetings?

10

MR ANDREW:

But as members ja.

DR KING:

As - ja.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

But when our submission on financial and fiscal relations is being made because then they will have thrashed it out to a large extent in the parties and in the Theme Committee. I think that's the (inaudible) ... because on the 7th of April, the commission. provincial commission is also going to have their workshop. So that we have some kind of (inaudible) ... of people by the time we get to that conference. Also

20

# 20 MARCH 1995

10

20

which I will be very helpful as well. So, can we move on?

That - we took that point in between, Mr Mxenge.

MR MXENGE:

Can I find out, are we giving our Chairperson a mandate to speak to their Chairperson that is Rob Davis, on the issue.

MR ANDREW:

I am happy that you do, but I actually think some of these things - I mean, one doesn't want to get into formal letter writing you know you don't speak to the person sitting next to you. But the trouble is, if you don't have formal, a certain degree of formality, lots of things fall between stools because and I think it would be useful to know write a short letter.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Just quote the decision.

MR ANDREW:

Essentially, and then have a verbal discussion as well. I mean I am not trying to work it out ...

CHAIRPERSON:

Have a verbal discussion and they could just inform Rob Davis and those people of that decision, that's why I wanted it formulated, thank you very much.

20 MARCH 1995

MS HAYDON:

From the Secretariat?

CHAIRPERSON:

From the Secretariat. You just send the decision through to them for their information we'll talk about it and also in your parties please will you follow it up then. Thank you.

To the minutes quickly. Page 2, (inaudible) ... page 3 - it was the advertisement, things like that, Professor Venter, financial and fiscal commission, we have now handled, greatly I think.

10

The workshop in Bloemfontein. Mr Manie has accepted I think the information was and Mr JW Maree does he know about it?

DR KING:

Mr Chairman, I have only been able - I was -I just quickly spoke to him this morning and he wasn't aware of it as yet. I only had my report back on Friday and I didn't have an opportunity to speak to him, so and also I am not saying that I have a problem with this Parliamentary air ticket situation.

20

### 20 MARCH 1995

You know, the Parliamentary air ticket situation - I do understand that we'd like to have other people. But you know I think Mr Manie lives in Cape Town, so for him it's no problem to use his ticket and then perhaps in that way make a saving.

But our problem is with Mr Maree - who lives in Natal. And you know we're are all - we are all pressurised at the moment. We cannot handle it without tickets sufficiently.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

I would suggest that it's of course always a great cultural experience for people from Gauteng to go to the Free State, but couldn't the Free State Parliamentarians be used, Mr Smith?

DR KING:

Mr Chairman, I think you misunderstand me.

MR SMITH:

This is - the minutes are confusing, Tersia. It's not actually that the thing you are reading isn't in relation to the two gentlemen who are going. It was a method of suggesting of getting a third person. That option has fallen away, so I think 4.2 falls away as well automatically.

CONSTITUTIONAL ASSEMBLY

10

#### 20 MARCH 1995

CHAIRPERSON:

That's the position. So, Mr Maree will get his ticket in any event, is that correct. I am sorry, I understood it like you. Dr King I - you know was just guying about the Free State and culture, there is a lot of culture there in any event. Is it finished?

DR KING:

I have no problem with the Free State or to receive their culture there. 'Hulle is my mense in elke geval jy weet so ek het nie 'n probleem daarmee nie. Ek, maar dan kan ons - kan ek net voorstel dat ons 4.2 dan uit die notule uithaal of dan verander'.

10

CHAIRPERSON:

Not a third member?

MR ANDREW:

Actually the minutes are correct. I think Peter is wrong. I mean our the discussion was, that if it were possible for members to use, it would be recognised - there would be - could be - well be a problem, I mean of members being short of Parliamentary tickets, but if it were possible, because what we were saying, there was a if the kind of - we worked out there effectively there was a budget of R5 000.

20

## 20 MARCH 1995

And if in fact one, that would be two members, air tickets plus accommodation, everything. If in fact, the members were able to use Parliamentary tickets, one could then, within the same budget have three people.

So I think that you and I think Peter on this instance is actually wrong. I think the minute is correct.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

MR MXENGE:

Let's hear Mr Mxenge on it please and then ...

The reason why he responded in that fashion because he's

got information that you are not aware of. Now I - ja what

happened was I should have reported back this to the Core

Group before the discussion went on.

You know we look at this administration and it was

impossible for us to use that formula. That is of you know -

of having people you know use their own tickets and then

you know. The money that was budgeted for you know be

used only for accommodation and registration.

So that you know the situation is as of now, that people you

10

20

## 20 MARCH 1995

know that two gentlemen are going - that is Mr Maree and Mr Manie. And Mr Maree is aware of the position. He got you know on Thursday, last week, you know he said you know he doesn't have a problem but he'll get to me on Friday and then on Friday you know he wasn't sure you know whether he was going or not. But I couldn't get hold of him today.

But the situation is we have two people going. We got you know - and we can't have that person in.

10

20

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

In order we've got two persons going and it will be - you'll fund it.

MR MXENGE:

Ja well ...

CHAIRPERSON:

Is that okay, Peter sorry, I also didn't understand it but now it's quite clear. Shall we step off it?

MR SMITH:

Yes I mean but that must be recorded as a matter arising from the minute. It's not a correction of the minutes I mean the minutes are correct, and it's a matter arising.

20 MARCH 1995

CHAIRPERSON:

Ja it's arising.

MS HAYDON:

Matters arising, yes (inaudible) ...

CHAIRPERSON:

Sorry, it's going a bit deurmekaar today. Page 4, I am (inaudible) ... the minutes still. I've got - could I just get my copy out because there was some things which I attended there on page 4.

I - this thing about 5.2.1 - was it really that the members agreed that their workload doesn't allow time for so and so - wasn't the idea that these progress reports that they should be prepared for the weekly briefings mentioned in 5.1. You know what I mean.

MR SMITH:

Ja.

CHAIRPERSON:

No separate heading - 5.2 it's just a preparation of reports for those weekly media briefings. It is not an advertising matter, did I remember right?

20

10

MR MXENGE:

May I try and explain to members, what has happened was,

#### 20 MARCH 1995

our Chairperson, that is the Chairperson of the CA in a raise you know concern you know to the effect that the you know the media department has been soliciting information from the public.

And the media hasn't gone back to the public to say that this is what has happened to our information to the submissions that you have - you have made and you know, he was concerned about that and he wanted to find whether is there a way that the media department could go back to the public and say - we received so much from you and this is what we have done with it.

10

So, the idea was to go back to the Theme Committees and ask the Theme Committees to provide the media department with progress reports you know so as to be able to go back to the public and say - this is what we have done so up to now. You know this is what we have done, I mean - this what we - this is how we handled or processed your submissions.

20

That was the back-ground to the whole affair you know and

#### 20 MARCH 1995

when - when we invited the media department to come and address us, it was on those lines for them to explain what was going on. And what they said was, they wished that we could have you know that report you know being tabled so that you know an advert you know could go out stating what - what has happened you know or what the progress of what is for Theme Committee 3.

We have a different media briefing you know every week, which we didn't have last week, and which are going to have as beginning of you know as - as I mean we are going to have our first media briefing this - this week on Thursday at 2. And it was agreed last week that we are going to have two people who are going to be nominated, who are going to be -who are going to act as regulars.

One will be nominated from the ANC and the second will come from other parties and on a rotational basis. That is if one, if this week there is a person from the NP the following week it will be a person from you know another party you know and so forth. So that is how ...

20

10

20 MARCH 1995

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Mr Mxenge no I think it's okay. That is covered in 5.1 quite completely. I think just the heading 5.2 it was not a matter of advertising here in 5.2, that was only ...

MS HAYDON:

Chairperson - but it does refer to the advert that Mbasa has clarified.

CHAIRPERSON:

Yes.

MS HAYDON:

That's why I have got them as two separate things, because they are two separate issues.

10

CHAIRPERSON:

Okay shall we leave it like that, it's not material but thank you very much for the explanation Mr Mxenge. Further on page 4? I must just say ladies and gentlemen I have another meeting at 15.30. Which is a caucus meeting which I can't miss. We must push it, page 5.

MR ANDREW:

Yes Chair under general.

20

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Right.

## 20 MARCH 1995

MR ANDREW:

I asked it to be minuted that I felt we should be informing the CC or the MC or who ever that - well I asked it a recorder, because it was not agreed. That we should be informing them, that we were not succeeding and completing the work by the end of June.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

But we didn't agree with you of course, legal grounds.

MR ANDREW:

We'll see when you've left at half past three and we trying to work through a work programme for three months how far we get.

10

CHAIRPERSON:

I am not mandated to agree with you.

MR ANDREW:

Well I will decide unilaterally then on the work programme.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Could that be recorded as an opinion - an observation by Mr Andrew. You want to go down now on record, I see, you've got it yes.

20

DR KING:

Mr Chairman actually I personally think that once we have looked at the programme, that may become very valid. We

#### 20 MARCH 1995

may join our voices in that as well.

CHAIRPERSON:

You know, if I could just - this is quite out of order, if I react to this. You know, I personally really think we can make it. I do believe this. You - one shouldn't overrate big of this Constitution. It is not really researching the whole Constitutional law and the whole world and what we have, we just write a Constitution. It is not so difficult. I really think we can make it.

10

You know of course that we wait for a national conference which is there any (inaudible) ... from papers here. No but we have a conference, it's an open fact on the 31st of April - March and we are not going to steal or anything. We will give you enough time, and in this committee, I can assure you, we are going to work in a decent way.

But really if we are not playing too many political games here, in this committee, I am sure we can make it. You will be surprised. Let us dare each other. We make a bet - me and Ken Andrew still on this one - if you feel very strong about it, that you want this to be taken up to the

20

## 20 MARCH 1995

Constitutional committee, for debate or something, then of course we must channel it now. Do if you think so.

MR ANDREW:

No I was just getting - I was just simply getting the minutes correct. I think when we actually discuss the work programme and I'll be interested to see your one, then let's just see how the work programme works out. If it works out, I have no desire to spend any one more Monday in my life than I need to on Constitutional issues.

10

And I think you also bear in mind that it was your party that insisted we didn't use the existing Constitution as the starting point and we started <u>de novo</u> to re-invent the wheel. And also your party is the one that is not ready at any stage. Because you are waiting for your conference.

So, and I have listened with gratitude to your intention not to steam role or anything, because that is exactly what happened at Kempton Park and that is exactly why we had so many amendments and so many difficulties and things like the FFC and the provincial Government system. Simply because there was inadequate time on critical issues - it was

20

#### 20 MARCH 1995

all left till midnight sessions and last minute and nobody was interested. But any way - lets take hope that history doesn't repeat itself.

CHAIRPERSON:

I am not built like that. The only thing is if I don't give smoke breaks and then I start steam rolling you know that of course.

But we will cover that aspect when we come to it. Dr King, are you satisfied at this stage, really? Please speak your mind.

10

DR KING:

Mr Chairman, as far as I am concerned, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. And we will have to see how we go from here. But we have not completed our first report. You know we are going to have to - depending on how much we are prepared to now use our technical advisors which at the beginning some of the parties rejected that we do.

And I am on record that I said at the time we should use them more. If we can now get down and use the people and the resources we have, there is a possibility that we can

20

#### 20 MARCH 1995

do it. But then really we have to get going. And as I am say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

We will not lay anything before you - or rather we won't do anything to try and stop this process but at the same time to, we are also not going to be steam rollered into doing things faster than we can handle it.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Yes.

DR KING:

It's has already happened before. At the end of the first report, we didn't have sufficient time to consult on a report which we were not happy with which now has been returned back to us which proof we were right at the time.

That there was something rotten in the state of Denmark as far as that report is concerned. So, if we can sort those problems out, that's fine. But if you know we are willing to work. We have no problem with that. But we have to work within, we have to be allowed, sufficient freedom to do what needs to be done.

20

10

#### 20 MARCH 1995

10

20

**UNKNOWN:** 

That is welcome and also sorry Mr Chairman they tell me there was no meeting, driving backwards and forwards ...

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Ag we are just so glad to see you in any event.

DR KING:

Good excuse, good excuse.

**UNKNOWN:** 

(inaudible) ... they very annoyed with me outside.

CHAIRPERSON:

The secretary is moaning and on the other hand Sandra this is really important for us this issue, this discussion from political point of view, also for us. Don't worry about too much report in the Senate - ag in the minutes at this stage. Sorry we - 'ons het jou onderbreek, asseblief gaan aan'.

DR KING:

'Ek dink ek het gesê wat ek wou sê. Ek wil net die punt maak dat ek - ons het ook 'n probleem dat ons bekommerd is, dat ons nie gaan betyds klaarkom nie'.

Nommer 2 - secondly we feel, or rather we don't feel - 'ons is van plan om saam te werk soos wat ons van die begin af' - I mean we've never ever thought that we had to be any -

#### 20 MARCH 1995

but at the same time to you know we are not going to accept that we be pushed into making decisions without consulting our principles and unfortunately we work in a larger framework, which often does not give us the - or make it possible for us to make a decision within 24 hours or 36 hours. As long as that is taken into consideration.

CHAIRPERSON:

'Nou laat ons reguit praat' - listen I think we can make it, but what will be necessary perhaps, we have got two Mondays, three Mondays, how many Mondays have we got - two Mondays left to finish and 'verby'.

10

We've got two Mondays left in this quarter. In the next quarter we've got eleven Mondays before the 30th of June. If I counted correctly. You also counted it last time Gerrit, eleven.

The question I want to ask, there is a difference, you will know, between steam rolling under which one can understanding pressing you for a decision agree or not agree before you are ready to take a decision. And I think that is kind of steam rolling. But will you also talk with me? That

20

#### 20 MARCH 1995

there will come a time in next quarter that we work like very hard, now I mean a lot of hours per day, perhaps every day for a long time.

If you just don't come and say - now we steam role. That is not steam rolling, that's just working very hard and concentrated on a point - perhaps we will come to that.

MR ANDREW:

Well Chairperson I say that will be totally unacceptable.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Is that unacceptable for you?

MR ANDREW:

Well because, I mean I have joint standing committee of finance every Tuesday morning from 9 o'clock till half past 12. I have joint standing committee of public accounts every Wednesday morning from 9 o'clock till half past 12. I have joint standing committee or public accounts every Tuesday afternoon from 2 till 6 o'clock - sorry, from 4 till 6 o'clock.

We all have caucuses on Thursday morning. So, the answer is, that is actually unacceptable. The Constitution Assembly day is Monday and other than odd half hours that one can

CONSTITUTIONAL ASSEMBLY

20

10

#### 20 MARCH 1995

(inaudible) ... or one hour so that one can look at, snatching here and there.

In terms of substantive things, the other days are simply not available. And all of them, both Constitutional Assembly and the other things I have mentioned, that I might say is after missing my RDP meetings, omitting my trade and industry meetings and so on. But require preparation, so it's not only when you are literally sitting there with your back-side in the committee.

10

20

And that, what you are talking about is simply not acceptable to me.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Because I must say, I haven't got problems with giving our experts a lot of more things to do. In a sense to referring this and referring that. Get a thing like to streamline the process.

But you know, it can't work in a committee like this who have to develop a provincial system. It is a very difficult thing with an hour of two work from each person per week.

#### 20 MARCH 1995

I would say in work time at least how many time do you need? Fifteen hours per week on this thing?

And if the parties can't give us people like that, can't they just give the work a bit to other people and concentrate? Peter Smith's hand was up before you Tersia. We must sort this out. This is going to be crucial for us next week.

MR ANDREW:

But surely we should be looking at a work programme. I don't want to stop Peter or anybody else, but I mean surely when we actually look at a work programme, we see what is practical and impractical. And I thought - I thought the main purpose of this meeting and the reason for inviting the technical advisor was to actually work on a work programme for the rest of the (inaudible) ...

CHAIRPERSON:

We'll come to that, we'll come to that, that's cropped up around it. I wanted this discussion done, because this gives us an opportunity to give us our visions. You know how my vision now is on the work, not the work programme. Peter could you inform us, you (inaudible) ...

20

10

20 MARCH 1995

MR SMITH:

Sorry no it is just Chair, I have to make and a call so my apologies, but it's just I presume we are on the agenda item, so ...

CHAIRPERSON:

(inaudible) ...

MR SMITH:

Well maybe if I just make this point anyhow. You do know that Thursdays managing committee - is devoted to a review of the process and time tabling and progress made to date and the impact of our current work rate on future deadlines.

10

20

So it could well be depending on those deliberations that affects all Theme Committees and the issues that Ken raises and affect all of us, in fact, are going to be add and it might well be that whatever we feel now, in terms of the work programme, would need to be necessarily revised after that issue has been taken further.

It could well be, I get a feeling from certain parties that there is a feeling that the whole agenda needs to be revisited from scratch and if so, that might pre-empt

20 MARCH 1995

10

20

whatever we are discussing here today.

CHAIRPERSON:

Just that we wait for Thursday's meeting first. I think this is the most important thing for today. Now let me see - Mr Mxenge I will give you and I also want to hear Professor Davis another advisor on this matter please

MR MXENGE:

As Mr Andrew has stated it, today's meeting was basically to restructure our programme. But what I was going to suggest, before we look into it, can't we clear house firstly and look at the issues that wanted to raise under the agenda first.

There are two more issues that I wish we could look into.

CHAIRPERSON:

Ja.

MS HAYDON:

(inaudible) ... we haven't finalised the minutes as yet.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Could I just rule a order here if you'll give me a chance Mr Mxenge. I will close the discussion now. I regard it as information which we have circulated from the different

#### 20 MARCH 1995

parties here.

We will take it up again at the relevant items on the agenda.

Do I have your point, has been asked on added Ken on which we started this thing. Do I have a proposal for the agenda, in order?

MR ANDREW:

The minutes.

CHAIRPERSON:

Ag the minutes?

10

MR ANDREW:

Yes.

CHAIRPERSON:

Second it, any other matters arising. We touched on a few of them, none.

MR ANDREW:

No well I have reported back on (inaudible) ...

CHAIRPERSON:

Done, Professor Davis.

20

**PROF DAVIS** 

(inaudible) ... right place Chair to what's a name, but there is one issue and that was the Constitution programme, the

#### 20 MARCH 1995

television Constitution programme, on ...

CHAIRPERSON:

We coming to it, I think.

PROF DAVIS:

Oh! I see okay, because it is under 7 on your minutes I just

wanted ...

CHAIRPERSON:

No-no let met just see.

MR MXENGE:

It's not on the agenda.

10

20

CHAIRPERSON:

It's not on the agenda, we must bring it now ...

PROF DAVIS:

It's not on the agenda, I just want to report that simply that because I'd been asked to assist but I am assisting to a large degree in the areas which are not within this Theme Committee. Because I thought they would be proper.

But you know -but what is in the process happening are a series of questions which are going to be brought back to,

I think the Theme Committees, or to the CA - I am not quite sure for approval later this week.

#### 20 MARCH 1995

Questions which will in a sense be the questions asked on TV of the various party.

CHAIRPERSON:

I see, have you seen the urgent, urgent document further in your minutes?

MS HAYDON:

The last page.

CHAIRPERSON:

The last page.

PROF DAVIS:

Oh! here, yes Mr Chairperson just that - that you know I have seen it. But I just wanted to report back that my understanding was that on Thursday or Friday at the very latest the document will be circulated.

I know I for example have prepare a one page document on the Bill of Rights just to assist there. The four or five questions, the ideal is to have a similar set of questions through to the parties - that are approved. I might add, it is enormously difficult to ask questions which in a sense don't get you accused of being bias one way or the other.

20

10

#### 20 MARCH 1995

But one is trying one's best and those that have to be approved. I just wanted to feel that, just to report back on that development.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Thank you ever so much. I have now taken this page urgent, urgent. Do you want to explain it please Mr Mxenge?

MR MXENGE:

I, this afternoon I was approached by the head of the media department and he impressed upon me that, as of today you know he requires that Theme Committees you know provide the department with names of members will participate in you know in this programme.

And also you know a list of issues that are going to be raised. This is in line with what Professor Davis is raising, because if we raise the issues that we want you know, to be handled in this programme, then at least we will have to be approved by Thursday.

20

10

Then it make sense that we have that list out today. What I was going to suggest you know is that let's have you know

## 20 MARCH 1995

two members of the Core Group look into this you know and then come up with names of people that are going to participate and you know the issues that are going to be raised.

CHAIRPERSON:

Okay, do you - it must be done today.

MS HAYDON:

Ja, it must be done today.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Two members Peter.

10

MR SMITH:

Chair, there is two issues here I mean one is the issues which could be raised and I would think, perhaps as a starting point, we could look at those questions we put to the Gauteng CPM.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Ja.

MR SMITH:

Those were phrased in a fairly neutral fashion maybe we could circulate that for discussion. But then each party should name one person, so I am not quite sure what was suggested in terms of a Core Group sitting together to

20

20 MARCH 1995

nominate people but each party simply has to give a name.

Now is it important that the actual name is given? We can do that, but all you need is agreement that one person per party would do so.

CHAIRPERSON:

We just - do you need the names?

MR MXENGE:

The names ja.

MR SMITH:

Actual names all right, we'll do that. But the third issue was, that we, as a Theme Group were not too happy well at least certainly I wasn't either, the management committee, from a party point of view either, with the entire structuring of the agenda that they had proposed for sixteen programmes.

And one of the issues that seem to have cropped up somewhere, and I think in fact it was Professor Davis who mentioned it, was that original list of programmes was in the process of being re-structure.

20

10

20 MARCH 1995

So our fears at Theme Committee 3 issues is not being adequately addressed in the programme, would in fact would be addressed or could well be addressed in the new raise of framework and I wondered if we could hear something on that as well.

CHAIRPERSON:

Professor Davis?

PROF DAVIS:

Mr Chairperson, just perhaps just to answer all of those and then perhaps ask Mr Smith a question, which I am

10

interested in. Or maybe let me ask that first.

The questions that you had from the CPA what is that?

MR SMITH:

The CPT is the one (inaudible) ... programme.

**PROF DAVIS:** 

Have you got those questions? Okay because that might be very useful.

CHAIRPERSON:

Those questions I could ...

20

PROF DAVIS:

Can I just outline indeed what the idea is. The idea of the

#### 20 MARCH 1995

programmes, as I understand it, is to have a facilitators/chairperson, who knows essentially something about the broad Constitutional developments.

That the questions that would be asked, would be asked to a group of party experts or if I could put it that way to what I also understand is, a group of technical experts who are not the technical advisors in this process. I don't know what the position is. Mxenge might help me there, as to whether in fact somebody who is a technical advisor on another Theme committee, can be I think - because the trouble is, you got a very small unfortunately population of technical experts in this country and one has to be realistic about that.

You know you've already got twenty odd people floating round there, but the idea is - you could put up four or five experts. Now on the Bill of Rights programme, which is where I have been working - I noticed there that they have put up people like Professor June Sintclair and others who are expert lawyers but are not technical advisors.

And the central structure is that the questions are put to the

CONSTITUTIONAL ASSEMBLY

10

20

#### 20 MARCH 1995

parties and then a dialogue occurs as it were between the experts and the parties you know to make it user friendly. Now in the - the point is, that the two first programmes, upper are general one on the Bill of Rights and one on the separation of power straight federalism if I could put it that way.

And there are a series of others down the line and that is one on the Volkstaat one on the death penalty etcetera that are being proposed and I think the Theme Committees themselves try to direct what it is what they want to be done and according to Mr Sithole they suppose to follow the adverts that are going out all the time.

In other words, I was asked to look at the Bill of Rights in relation to the fact that these people have been putting up like equality and dignity and privacy - were being the issues being asked and that then, could one not have a series of questions which emerge out of the submissions. And then the parties debate amongst themselves. That's the idea now.

Now the one - I am not sure whether any progress is being

CONSTITUTIONAL ASSEMBLY

10

20

20 MARCH 1995

made beyond the first two programmes, in answer to you.

The idea is that as I understand it, the questions that will be asked have to be approved by us, or by you - if I could put

it that way.

And that the part from your parties nominating one person,
I am not certain, perhaps Mr Chairperson you can clarify
this, my understanding with it, there had also be clarification
like the Bill of Rights people (inaudible) ... who the
independent experts were going to be.

10

20

CHAIRPERSON:

Ja, Professor Davis, I don't want to have this discussion detailed now, but we only pressed to name two people - I find that very unsatisfactory.

**UNKNOWN:** 

Five.

CHAIRPERSON:

Five.

**PROF DAVIS:** 

What I am trying to establish here is could I ask whether as I understand it you to nominate the four or five experts, not the person for the parties or am I wrong.

20 MARCH 1995

MS HAYDON:

No,

**UNKNOWN:** 

No.

CHAIRPERSON:

No it's really unclear what we had ask for.

MR SMITH:

It says the members will face a panel of four to five experts which you will need to decide upon but no technical advisors

can be nominated.

10

CHAIRPERSON:

No-no.

UNKNOWN:

Yes.

CHAIRPERSON:

The members are the members of the parties. Ask that parties supply the following - each party, one person. Each party should indicate issues.

MR SMITH:

Right, read the next sentence.

20

CHAIRPERSON:

And then these members of each party face four or five experts which we must nominate.

20 MARCH 1995

**UNKNOWN:** 

Yes.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

No where do we get those experts like that suddenly from, except if we now followed the suggestions - our technical advisors cannot be nominated, except the technical advisors from other Theme Committees.

PROF DAVIS:

Well as I say, I know Mr Smith shook his head when I put that forward as a suggestion. But all I can say Professor Du Toit, acting as Chairperson but just acting as an academic here, you will know yourself how difficult it is to find another ten or twenty people floating around other than the entire group of people there really aren't.

There - I am sure you can find one or two and I am sure parties might want to put up people. And it's not for me to say 'jey or ney', but I do want to say this, it's not that easy.

If I was putting my thinking cap on, myself looking for who they could be and it is that quite difficult, yes.

20

10

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

You got it Peter.

## 20 MARCH 1995

10

20

MR SMITH:

One suggestion is - one suggestion perhaps it's quite right I mean three is a shortage and if necessary we take people who are on other Theme Committees. But I would urge that we try to get people who are very familiar with the issues that we're are facing as oppose to specialize in something else.

**UNKNOWN:** 

Yes.

MR SMITH:

And so, you recall that when the present panel of advisors are from the short list that parties submitted. Now there are other names on the party short list that we could re-visit.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

Peter could I cut this short, because this is taking too long.

Really, I don't think it's our problem to find these experts.

Penguin Pools will - or Penguin firms - Penguin Pools don't exist any more. Penguin firms must find them. And they could consult with our technical experts in this regard.

**PROF DAVIS:** 

Mr Chairperson, I think their theory is this, that you know their technical experts I mean Dr King put it I think very eloquently. We all know where you come from, she said.

#### 20 MARCH 1995

And I think they are rather reluctant that you know that, that particular comment, with respect, should be that we all know that they come from one particular or two.

They are worried that you people will, and justifiable will complain and say, it is all very well, we have got one person or a thing, but the technical experts were bias.

CHAIRPERSON:

But they can bring us names and we can throw them out or throw them in. But really to sit here in committee and find lists of names now.

10

MR SMITH:

Yes, I mean I think the real problem, really, I mean, we can suggest names. I don't think that is a particular problem, but I think the real problem is which is absolutely powerful course, is that we learn on Friday if we happen to have been in our office on Friday afternoon, which I wasn't -I was in the committee and I went straight home.

So I discover at sort of late morning, that at 4 o'clock - at 2 o'clock this afternoon these things are supposed to be lined up and that is the problem. I mean if we actually say okay well let's get together for half an hour, and two or

20

#### 20 MARCH 1995

three days after we thought about it and discussed with our colleagues and we each come with a few names, then it is not actually a particular problem to draw up a list of four to start with and a series of reserves.

CHAIRPERSON:

It wouldn't be right whether we just request Enox on 403 that's from Penguin firms. Request him just to make proposals.

**UNKNOWN:** 

No Enox is your man.

10

CHAIRPERSON:

He is our man.

MR ANDREW:

No I think - I actually think we need when you get on to the question of what you call them, technical experts, experts, that's it's actually rather invidious if other people suggest names and you think it is not a balanced panel or that somebody is inadequate.

That you then say, well you are happy with those three but those two are out, you know I think it gets a bit sort of invidious in a personal way. And I just think we should ask 20

#### 20 MARCH 1995

for or in fact, advise then that we need a 48 hour extension on this.

PROF DAVIS:

I can't see - I can't see any problems - I can't see there is any problem.

MR ANDREW:

Ja.

CHAIRPERSON:

In order.

MR ANDREW:

The other thing is I can't understand it and they have all this urgency, but they say on the 2/3 April, are they meaning on the 2nd and the 3rd of April or they want two days for filming.

**CHAIRPERSON:** 

2nd and 3rd of April is impossible for us in any event.

MR ANDREW:

And is that all day, both of those days?

[ END OF VOLUME I ]

20

10